Research Publications (select publications available to public on Purdue ePubs)
19. L.R. Murray, J.E. Bice, E.G. Soltys, C. Perge, S. Manneville, and K.A. Erk, "Influence of adsorbed and non-adsorbed polymer additives on the viscosity of magnesium oxide suspensions," Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Accepted and available online Sept 2017. doi: 10.1002/app.45696. link
18. J.J. Nash and K.A. Erk, "Stability and interfacial viscoelasticity of oil-water nanoemulsions stabilized by soy lecithin and Tween 20 for the encapsulation of bioactive carvacrol," Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 517, 1-11 (2017). doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfa.2016.12.056. link
17. T.L. Thornell, K. Subramaniam, and K.A. Erk, "The impact of damage accumulation on the kinetics of network strength recovery of a physical polymer gel subjected to shear deformation," Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics, 54, 1693-1701 (2016) doi: 10.1002/polb.24071. link
16. M.J. Krafcik and K.A. Erk, "Characterization of superabsorbent poly(sodium-acrylate acrylamide) hydrogels and influence of chemical structure on internally cured mortar," Materials and Structures, 49, 4765-4778 (2016) doi: 10.1617/s11527-016-0823-7. link
15. L.R. Murray, C. Gupta, N.R. Washburn, and K.A. Erk, "Lignopolymers as viscosity-reducing additives in magnesium oxide suspensions," Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 459, 107-114 (2015) doi: 10.1016/j.jcis.2015.07.037. link
14. L.C. Liston, Y. Farnam, M. Krafcik, W.J. Weiss, K.A. Erk, and B.Y. Tao, "Binary mixtures of fatty acid methyl esters as phase change materials for low temperature applications," Applied Thermal Engineering, 96, 501-501 (2016). doi: 0.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.11.007 link
13. Y. Farnam, M. Krafcik, L. Liston, T. Washington, K.A. Erk, B. Tao, and W.J. Weiss, "Evaluating the use of phase change materials in concrete pavement to melt ice and snow," Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 04015161 (2015). doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001439 link
12. Q. Zhu, C.W. Barney, and K.A. Erk, "Effect of ionic crosslinking on the swelling and mechanical response of model superabsorbent polymer hydrogels for internally cured concrete," Materials and Structures, 48, 2261-2276 (2015) doi: 10.1617/s11527-014-0308-5. link
11. T. Thornell, B. Helfrecht, S. Mullen, A. Bawiskar, and K.A. Erk, "Fracture-healing kinetics of thermoreversible physical gels quantified by shear rheophysical experiments," ACS Macro Letters, 3, 1069-1073 (2014) doi: 10.1021/mz500524d. link
10. L.R. Murray and K.A. Erk, "Jamming rheology of model cementitious suspensions composed of comb-polymer stabilized magnesium oxide particles," Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 131, 40429 (2014) doi: 10.1002/app.40429. link
9. B.M. Elliott, K.E. Steckbeck, L.R. Murray, and K.A. Erk, "Rheological investigation of the shear strength, durability, and recovery of alginate rafts formed by antacid medication in varying pH environments," International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 457, 118-123 (2013). doi: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2013.09.034 link
8. K.A. Erk, J.D. Martin, J.T. Schwalbe, and S.D. Hudson, “Shear and dilational interfacial rheology of surfactant-stabilized droplets,” Journal of Colloids and Interface Science, 377, 442-449 (2012). doi: 10.1016/j.jcis.2012.03.078 link
7. K.A. Erk and J.F. Douglas, “Stretched exponential stress relaxation in a thermally reversible, physically associating block copolymer solution,” MRS Proceedings, 1418 (2012). doi:10.1557/opl.2012.335 link
6. K.A. Erk, J.D. Martin, Y.T. Hu, and K.R. Shull, “Extreme strain localization and sliding friction in physically associating polymer gels,” Langmuir, 28, 4472-4478 (2012). doi: 10.1021/la204592r link
5. K.A. Erk and K.R. Shull, “Rate-dependent stiffening and strain localization in physically associating solutions,” Macromolecules, 44, 932-939 (2011). doi: 10.1021/ma102156p link
4. K.A. Erk, K.J. Henderson, and K.R. Shull, “Strain stiffening of synthetic and biopolymer networks,” Biomacromolecules, 11, 1358-1363 (2010). doi: 10.1021/bm100136y link
3. K.A. Erk, D.C. Dunand, and K.R. Shull, “Titanium with controllable pore fractions by thermoreversible gelcasting of TiH2’” Acta Materialia, 56, 5147-5157 (2008). doi: 10.1016/j.actamat.2008.06.035 link
2. C.A. Handwerker, K.A. Erk, A. Hess, A. Squire, M. Yarbrough, R.D. Parker, and M. Webster, “Void formation: emerging issues in materials compatibility and reliability of Pb-free assemblies,” Proceedings of Going Green - CARE INNOVATION 2006, WEEE/RoHS Implementation to Future Sustainable Electronics, Vienna, Austria. November 13-16, 2006.
1. K.A. Erk, C. Deschaseaux, and R.W. Trice, “Grain-boundary grooving of plasma-sprayed yttria-stabilized zirconia thermal barrier coatings,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 89, 1673-1678 (2006). doi: 10.1111/j.1551-2916.2006.00944.x link
Educational Publications and Online Products
8. K.A. Erk, J.J. Nash and H.K. Woods, "Using mechanical testing of disposable plastic cups to illustrate processing-structure-property relationships in an introductory materials laboratory course", Paper presented at the 2016 ASEE Conference & Exposition, New Orleans, LA, June 26-29, 2016. doi: 10.18260/p.27150 link
7. K.A. Erk, M. Rhein, M. Krafcik, and S. Ydstie, "Demonstrating the Effects of Processing on the Structure and Physical Properties of Plastic Using Disposable PETE Cups," Journal of Chemical Education, 2015. doi: 10.1021/acs.jchemed.5b00082. link
6. A. Coughlan, D.R. Johnson, T.A. Faltens, K.A. Douglas, H.A. Diefes-Dux, K. Erk and A. Strachan, "Enhanced learning of mechanical behavior of materials via combined experiments and nanoHub simulations: learning modules for sophomore MSE students," Materials Research Society Fall 2014 Proceedings, Boston, MA. mrsf14-1762-aaa06-03 (2015). doi: 10.1557/opl.2015.152.
5. K.A. Erk, J. Lumkes, J. Shambach, L. Braile, A. Brickler, and A. Matthys, "Designing a sound reducing wall," Science and Children (National Science Teachers Association), 53 (1), 52-59 (2015). doi: 10.2505/4/sc15_053_01_52 link (PDF)
4. K.A. Erk, A. Kirchmaier, J. Lumkes, J. Peterson, and J Shambach, “Save the Wolf (Simple Machines) Grade 4 Design Activity,” (2014) In: STEMEd online hub. https://stemedhub.org/resources/2254.
3. K.A. Erk, A. Kirchmaier, J. Lumkes, J. Peterson, and J. Shambach, “Designing Safer Roadways (Transportation Systems) Grade 3 Design Activity,” (2014) In: STEMEd online hub. https://stemedhub.org/resources/2256.
2. K.A. Erk, J. Lumkes, L. Braile, A. Brickler, and A. Matthys, “Light - Just Right! (Electricity) Grade 4 Design Activity,” (2013) In: STEMEd online hub. https://stemedhub.org/resources/1790.
1. K.A. Erk, J. Lumkes, L. Braile, A. Brickler, and A. Matthys, “Sound Absorbing Wall (Sound Waves) Grade 3 Design Activity,” (2013) In: STEMEd online hub. https://stemedhub.org/resources/1766.