Research Publications (ORCID ID: 0000-0001-9238-1928; select publications available to public on Purdue ePubs)
24. E. Caicedo-Casso, J. Sargent, R. M. Dorin, U. B. Wiesner, W. A. Phillip, B. W. Boudouris, and K. A. Erk, "A rheometry method to assess the evaporation-induced mechanical strength development of polymer solutions used for membrane applications," Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Accepted (in press) 2018. doi: 10.1002/app.47038. link
23. M.J. Krafcik, B. Bose, and K.A. Erk, "Synthesis and characterization of polymer-silica composite hydrogel particles and influence of hydrogel composition on cement paste microstructure," Invited article in ASTM Advances in Civil Engineering Materials 2018 (special issue on Advances in Internal Curing of Cementitious Materials), 7 (4). doi: 10.1520/ACEM20170144. link
22. J.J. Nash, P.T. Spicer, and K.A. Erk, "Controllable internal mixing in coalescing droplets induced by the solutal Marangoni convection of surfactants with distinct headgroup architectures," Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 529, 224-233 (2018). doi: 10.1016/j.jcis.2018.06.011. link
21. M.J. Krafcik, N.D. Macke, and K.A. Erk, "Improved concrete materials with hydrogel-based internal curing agents," Invited article in Gels (special issue on "Polyelectrolyte Gels"), 3 (4), 46 (2017). doi: 10.3390/gels3040046. link
20. C.R. Davis, S.L. Kelly, and K.A. Erk, “Comparing laser diffraction and optical microscopy for characterizing superabsorbent polymer particle morphology, size, and swelling capacity,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 135 (14), 46055 (2018). doi: 10.1002/app/46055. link
19. L.R. Murray, J.E. Bice, E.G. Soltys, C. Perge, S. Manneville, and K.A. Erk, "Influence of adsorbed and non-adsorbed polymer additives on the viscosity of magnesium oxide suspensions," Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 135 (3), 45696 (2018). doi: 10.1002/app.45696. link
18. J.J. Nash and K.A. Erk, "Stability and interfacial viscoelasticity of oil-water nanoemulsions stabilized by soy lecithin and Tween 20 for the encapsulation of bioactive carvacrol," Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 517, 1-11 (2017). doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfa.2016.12.056. link
17. T.L. Thornell, K. Subramaniam, and K.A. Erk, "The impact of damage accumulation on the kinetics of network strength recovery of a physical polymer gel subjected to shear deformation," Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics, 54, 1693-1701 (2016) doi: 10.1002/polb.24071. link
16. M.J. Krafcik and K.A. Erk, "Characterization of superabsorbent poly(sodium-acrylate acrylamide) hydrogels and influence of chemical structure on internally cured mortar," Materials and Structures, 49, 4765-4778 (2016) doi: 10.1617/s11527-016-0823-7. link
15. L.R. Murray, C. Gupta, N.R. Washburn, and K.A. Erk, "Lignopolymers as viscosity-reducing additives in magnesium oxide suspensions," Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 459, 107-114 (2015) doi: 10.1016/j.jcis.2015.07.037. link
14. L.C. Liston, Y. Farnam, M. Krafcik, W.J. Weiss, K.A. Erk, and B.Y. Tao, "Binary mixtures of fatty acid methyl esters as phase change materials for low temperature applications," Applied Thermal Engineering, 96, 501-501 (2016). doi: 0.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.11.007 link
13. Y. Farnam, M. Krafcik, L. Liston, T. Washington, K.A. Erk, B. Tao, and W.J. Weiss, "Evaluating the use of phase change materials in concrete pavement to melt ice and snow," Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 04015161 (2015). doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001439 link
12. Q. Zhu, C.W. Barney, and K.A. Erk, "Effect of ionic crosslinking on the swelling and mechanical response of model superabsorbent polymer hydrogels for internally cured concrete," Materials and Structures, 48, 2261-2276 (2015) doi: 10.1617/s11527-014-0308-5. link
11. T. Thornell, B. Helfrecht, S. Mullen, A. Bawiskar, and K.A. Erk, "Fracture-healing kinetics of thermoreversible physical gels quantified by shear rheophysical experiments," ACS Macro Letters, 3, 1069-1073 (2014) doi: 10.1021/mz500524d. link
10. L.R. Murray and K.A. Erk, "Jamming rheology of model cementitious suspensions composed of comb-polymer stabilized magnesium oxide particles," Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 131, 40429 (2014) doi: 10.1002/app.40429. link
9. B.M. Elliott, K.E. Steckbeck, L.R. Murray, and K.A. Erk, "Rheological investigation of the shear strength, durability, and recovery of alginate rafts formed by antacid medication in varying pH environments," International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 457, 118-123 (2013). doi: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2013.09.034 link
8. K.A. Erk, J.D. Martin, J.T. Schwalbe, and S.D. Hudson, “Shear and dilational interfacial rheology of surfactant-stabilized droplets,” Journal of Colloids and Interface Science, 377, 442-449 (2012). doi: 10.1016/j.jcis.2012.03.078 link
7. K.A. Erk and J.F. Douglas, “Stretched exponential stress relaxation in a thermally reversible, physically associating block copolymer solution,” MRS Proceedings, 1418 (2012). doi:10.1557/opl.2012.335 link
6. K.A. Erk, J.D. Martin, Y.T. Hu, and K.R. Shull, “Extreme strain localization and sliding friction in physically associating polymer gels,” Langmuir, 28, 4472-4478 (2012). doi: 10.1021/la204592r link
5. K.A. Erk and K.R. Shull, “Rate-dependent stiffening and strain localization in physically associating solutions,” Macromolecules, 44, 932-939 (2011). doi: 10.1021/ma102156p link
4. K.A. Erk, K.J. Henderson, and K.R. Shull, “Strain stiffening of synthetic and biopolymer networks,” Biomacromolecules, 11, 1358-1363 (2010). doi: 10.1021/bm100136y link
3. K.A. Erk, D.C. Dunand, and K.R. Shull, “Titanium with controllable pore fractions by thermoreversible gelcasting of TiH2’” Acta Materialia, 56, 5147-5157 (2008). doi: 10.1016/j.actamat.2008.06.035 link
2. C.A. Handwerker, K.A. Erk, A. Hess, A. Squire, M. Yarbrough, R.D. Parker, and M. Webster, “Void formation: emerging issues in materials compatibility and reliability of Pb-free assemblies,” Proceedings of Going Green - CARE INNOVATION 2006, WEEE/RoHS Implementation to Future Sustainable Electronics, Vienna, Austria. November 13-16, 2006.
1. K.A. Erk, C. Deschaseaux, and R.W. Trice, “Grain-boundary grooving of plasma-sprayed yttria-stabilized zirconia thermal barrier coatings,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 89, 1673-1678 (2006). doi: 10.1111/j.1551-2916.2006.00944.x link
2. K.A. Erk and B. Bose, "Using Polymer Science to Improve Concrete: Superabsorbent Polymer Hydrogels in Highly Alkaline Environments," in Gels and Other Soft Amorphous Solids 2018, American Chemical Society Symposium Series - Vol. 1296, 333-356. doi: 10.1021/bk-2018-1296.ch017. link
1. S.L. Kelly, M.J. Krafcik, and K.A. Erk, “Chapter 9: Synthesis and Characterization of Superabsorbent Polymer Hydrogels Used as Internal Curing Agents: Impact of Particle Shape on Mortar Compressive Strength,” in International Congress on Polymers in Concrete (ICPIC 2018): Polymers for Resilient and Sustainable Concrete Infrastructure, Mahmoud M. Reda Taha (ed.), Springer International Publishing AG, 2018. pp. 91-97. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-78175-4_9 link
1. Erk, Kendra Ann. Cementitious mixtures, compositions for use in cementitious mixtures, and methods of producing cementitious mixtures. U.S. Letters Patent 10,081,573. Issued on September 25, 2018.
Educational Publications and Online Products
8. K.A. Erk, J.J. Nash and H.K. Woods, "Using mechanical testing of disposable plastic cups to illustrate processing-structure-property relationships in an introductory materials laboratory course", Paper presented at the 2016 ASEE Conference & Exposition, New Orleans, LA, June 26-29, 2016. doi: 10.18260/p.27150 link
7. K.A. Erk, M. Rhein, M. Krafcik, and S. Ydstie, "Demonstrating the Effects of Processing on the Structure and Physical Properties of Plastic Using Disposable PETE Cups," Journal of Chemical Education, 2015. doi: 10.1021/acs.jchemed.5b00082. link
6. A. Coughlan, D.R. Johnson, T.A. Faltens, K.A. Douglas, H.A. Diefes-Dux, K. Erk and A. Strachan, "Enhanced learning of mechanical behavior of materials via combined experiments and nanoHub simulations: learning modules for sophomore MSE students," Materials Research Society Fall 2014 Proceedings, Boston, MA. mrsf14-1762-aaa06-03 (2015). doi: 10.1557/opl.2015.152.
5. K.A. Erk, J. Lumkes, J. Shambach, L. Braile, A. Brickler, and A. Matthys, "Designing a sound reducing wall," Science and Children (National Science Teachers Association), 53 (1), 52-59 (2015). doi: 10.2505/4/sc15_053_01_52 link (PDF)
4. K.A. Erk, A. Kirchmaier, J. Lumkes, J. Peterson, and J Shambach, “Save the Wolf (Simple Machines) Grade 4 Design Activity,” (2014) In: STEMEd online hub. https://stemedhub.org/resources/2254.
3. K.A. Erk, A. Kirchmaier, J. Lumkes, J. Peterson, and J. Shambach, “Designing Safer Roadways (Transportation Systems) Grade 3 Design Activity,” (2014) In: STEMEd online hub. https://stemedhub.org/resources/2256.
2. K.A. Erk, J. Lumkes, L. Braile, A. Brickler, and A. Matthys, “Light - Just Right! (Electricity) Grade 4 Design Activity,” (2013) In: STEMEd online hub. https://stemedhub.org/resources/1790.
1. K.A. Erk, J. Lumkes, L. Braile, A. Brickler, and A. Matthys, “Sound Absorbing Wall (Sound Waves) Grade 3 Design Activity,” (2013) In: STEMEd online hub. https://stemedhub.org/resources/1766.